The Balboa Reservoir Project is a major development right next to Sunnyside. Read more background here. Local residents have participated during the development process through the Community Advisory Committee, which met again last Monday. Under discussion was the Transportation Demand Management (TDM) plan, formulated to address issues raised by the proposed development related to changes in congestion, traffic, parking, and transit use. Input by residents is part of developing that plan (see below for your opportunity to weigh in).
Present at the meeting were several SNA members and Sunnyside residents, including SNA president Stephen Martinpinto. The representatives from SF Planning listened to extensive comments from them. These included specific suggestions about addressing the Bart-to-CCSF transit issue by putting in place a shuttle, such as is seen at other college campuses close to train/Bart stations. As well, concerns were raised regarding the impact on local residents by CCSF students seeking parking spaces that are currently provided by the parking lot on the Reservoir site. Read written comments from BRCAC members here (PDF).
Oral comments included: SNA president Stephen Martinpinto stressed to the representatives of SF Planning that transit plans will have a big impact on the outcome of the development, and that bold plans like undergrounding the K line might be called for. He also suggested that CCSF encourage student attendance at satellite campuses to relieve congestion at the Ocean Campus. SNA vice-president Chris Coghlan expressed concerns about the total amount of contiguous park space called for by the Principles and Parameters [PDF] document, which was crafted by the BRCAC to guide developers; he called for a larger amount than the recommended 1.5 acres (as part of 4 acres total park space) designated by the guidelines in the parameters. Additional written comments about the TDM were also submitted by Sunnyside resident Alvin Ja in January (PDF).
If you are a Sunnyside resident who has comments or suggestions regarding the TDM presentation linked above, please contact:
- Jeremy Shaw, SF Planning Dept., email@example.com, 415-575-9135
News about proposals
The initial phase of the process of finding a developer for the site started in November 2016 with the Requests for Qualifications (links below). The developers chosen from those submissions are to be announced on Friday Mar 10, 2017.
Their proposed ideas will then be available to be viewed and commented on by the public, including any and all interested Sunnyside residents.
Links and articles:
- Main page on SF Planning website: http://sf-planning.org/balboa-reservoir
- Meeting schedule and information for BRCAC: http://sf-planning.org/balboa-reservoir-cac-meeting-schedule
- Request for Qualifications from SFPUC: http://www.sfwater.org/index.aspx?page=1086
- Article on Socketsite re delayed announcement (Feb 16, 2017): http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2017/02/balboa-reservoir-redevelopment-announcement-delayed.html
- Article on Socketsite on RFQ (Nov 11, 2016): http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2016/11/developers-and-plans-sought-for-massive-balboa-reservoir-site.html
- Article on SF Housing Action Coalition website on RFQ (Nov 14, 2016): http://www.sfhac.org/city-releases-request-qualifications-balboa-reservoir/