Come join the Sunnyside Neighborhood Association in its continued support of San Francisco neighborhood musicians and composers.
Date: Saturday March 7th, 2020
Time: 7:30 PM
Place: Sunnyside Conservatory, 236 Monterey Blvd, San Francisco
The Strauss Horn Concerto No. 2 was written in 1941, premiered in the US in 1948–and now premieres at the Sunnyside Conservatory, performed by hornist Alex Strachan and pianist Jason Oestenstad.
Two original premieres by Excelsior District composer/arranger and bassoonist, Jason Gibbs, will also be performed: tricorn and Quintet (Creatures of Prometheus). The second piece was arranged in response to the player’s feelings that the Beethoven Quintet for oboe, bassoon and 3 horns didn’t feel “finished.”
The last piece, Musica Callada VII, is based upon whimsical piano motifs composed by Mompou.
Alex Strachan, horn. Jason Oestenstad, piano, performing:
- Richard Strauss, Concerto No.2 for Horn/Orchestra (piano reduction).
Jason, Gibbs, bassoon, Steven Keys, horn, Louise Pescetta, Oboe, Amy Thomas, horn, Carol Yarbrough, horn, performing:
- Ludwig van Beethoven, Quintet (Allegro, Adagio maestoso, Minuetto), with new 4th movement based upon “Creatures of Prometheus”, arr by Jason Gibbs.
- Jason Gibbs, “tricorn”, for oboe, 3 horns & bassoon.
- Steven Keys, “Secret Places”, for 3 horns.
- Federico Mompou, Musica Callada VII, arr by Jason Gibbs.